Automatic gearboxes are rare on Magnettes, but it is a very
normal, reliable, Type 35 gearbox. They still have some
- Clonk on selecting 'D', tickover too high.
- Poor selection between gears, fluid level low.
- No, or late, kickdown, cable needs adjusting.
- Poor fuel consumption, fluid flywheel worn out and
- Changing up is felt more than normal, either low fluid level
or internal clutches slipping. This is the sign of a full rebuild
job being needed by a specialist.
- Fluid leaks, nearly always from the rear seal, (prop shaft)
and the selector arm. Cure by fitting a new seal from a specialist
for the Type 35 gearbox for about #1 each.
- Stays in low too long, or takes ages to get into top, low
fluid level or worn out bands or dirt in valves. Needs a
specialist check over.
- Cannot start the car, no power. Inhibitor switch incorrectly
adjusted but only because you had it out.
- No kick down, cable broken
- Towing with an autobox? You must fit and oil cooler to the
gearbox no matter how expensive.