These pages contain production numbers, dates and the time-line for various changes to the MGTD during it's production run.
There were three models of MGTD during production but only two are really discernible. Those were the TD, TD2, and the TD Mark II. The TD2 was just an evolution of the TD while the TD Mark II actually added additional features, a unique identification, and simultaneous production with both TD and TD2 cars.
Total production for the MGTD was 29,664 of which at least 1710 were TD Mark II's.
|1949||1950||1951||1952||1953||Total, all years|
|Chassis only, RHD||0||4||0||2||3||9|
|Chassis only, LHD||0||6||48||13¹||90¹||157|
|CKD² Cars, RHD||0||338||30||20||5||393|
Used with permission from Original MG T Series by Anders Clausager. Published by MBI Publishing Company 1-800-826-6600.
¹ It would appear that of the 103 LHD chassis exported during 1952 and 1953, all but three of these were Arnolt MG's that were sold in the US. Total production for Arnolt MG's was 102 cars, two of these were the prototypes that were created in Italy with used chassis from production cars.
²CKD - "completely knocked down". A term used to describe cars that were exported in kit form to be assembled "in country". This was sometimes used to claim that the cars were manufactured locally to get by import tax situations. Cars were finished in primer only. To get an idea how CKD cars were utilized check out this web site about the BMC in Sydney, Australia.
The following table illustrates the car number coding scheme for the MGTD. These were documented on a stamped metal plate on the cars left hand firewall. In addition each car received a unique number starting with 0251 and ending in 29915.
|TD³||All MGTD's except for the competition or Mark II models|
|TD/C³||Mark II or Competition models.|
|EXU||Export, United States (early version)|
|EXR||Export - Right Hand Drive - MPH Speedo|
|EXRK||Export - Right Hand Drive - Kilo Speedo|
|EXL||Export - Left Hand Drive - MPH Speedo|
|EXLK||Export - Left Hand Drive - Kilo Speedo|
|EXLNA||Export Left North America|
|EXRNA||Export Left North America, Right (most often intended for racing?)|
³ The TD always preceded the code. For example, a later North American, exported, left hand drive regular MGTD would be coded: TD EXL/NA.
Additional code information supplied by Tom Lange.
All MGTD engines were marked as XPAG. The following table illustrates the additonal engine number coding scheme for the MGTD XPAG engines. There was no absolute correlation from the chassis or car number but the engine number was generally about 300 - 350 or more larger. The engine number was stamped on the metal chassis plate, on its own octagonal plate on the right bottom front side of the engine and just above this plate, on the block itself.
|TD||Engines prior to 14xxx with 7" clutches|
|TD2||Engines after 14xxx with 8" clutches|
|TD3||TD/C or Mark II engines after 17xxx|
Production date timelines from M.G. Talk, the South-Eastern T-Registers Newsletter. First number is day of month, second is the first or last serial number car for that date. This should help you in determining the actual age of your car. You might also want to get a copy of the factory log book for the date of your car from the source mentioned here. There is an online tool available from the T Register T Type Factory Production Records.
Over the product run of the MGTD various changes, while mostly minor, where made. The following table attempts to chronologize some of the notable externally visible changes by date and/or chassis number when known. (e) stands for engine number.
Note: The production feature time-line presented here is derived mostly from manuals, brochures and a few factory records by Anders Clausager. The dates should not be considered absolute. In fact many cars have been shown to exhibit an earlier trait far beyond the date shown as having a new feature. It is believed that these dates comprise the first time a new feature appeared on the MGTD, rather than the last time the former feature could be found. At times a decision seemed to be made to change a feature in one marketplace while still producing the former feature for other marketplaces. Note also that the MGTC was still in production when the first MGTD's appeared. Also note that during the production of the MGTD that other cars were still produced on the line at the same time. It may have been that cars produced during those periods would use similar parts while during the times that only MGTD's were produced, a different, but similar part would be used .
Note: MGTD's were one of the last cars manufactured by Nuffield prior to the change over when incorporated with BMC. Up to that point few records on individual cars were kept and the production information is not as complete as on even the MGTF and later models. The information quoted in the Feature Timeline section is the best there is available but cannot be considered absolute. There may have been exceptions to this data. See the Noted Exceptions to Production Data pages for more information or to report a discrepancy.
|Production begins||Nov 1949||0252 (0250 & 0251 were prototypes)|
|Chassis without scuttle hoop||Nov 1949-Dec 1949||0252|
|Scuttle hoop added to chassis||Dec 1949||0351|
|Solid Wheels||Nov 1949-Dec 1949||0252|
|Slotted Wheels||Jan 1950 to 1953||~0501. See the Production Exceptions for examples of outside of this number.|
|First Mark II Model||May 1950||TD/C/1123|
|Bulge on right hand hood side for larger carburetors on Mark II||May 1950||TD/C/1123|
|Purolator oil filter replaced by Wilmot Breeden Filter||Jul 1950||(e) 2985|
|Air cleaner with instructions on decal||1949-1950?||?|
|Air cleaner with stamped instructions||1950?-1953||?|
|Patent plate with nickel background||Nov 1949-Dec 1949||0252|
|Patent plate with black background||Nov 1950||somewhere between 4140 and 6232|
|Rubber footwell on LHD cars||Nov 1950-1953||from 4237|
|One Piece Hub and Brakedrum||Nov 1950||from 4251|
|Outer front wheel bearing grease retainer: press-on cap replaced felt washer type||Feb 1951||from 6035|
|9 post regulator||1949-Jun 1951||to 8141|
|5 post regulator and fuse block||Jun 1951 to 1953||from 8142|
|Shorter Dipstick tube and New Dipstick||Sep 1951||(e) 1090|
|Flat faced Tach and Speedo||1949-Oct 1951||to 10750 LHD|
|Dished faced Tach and Speedo||Oct 1951-1953||from 10751 LHD (10779 RHD)|
|Knob for dash lights||1949-Oct 1951||to 10750|
|Short dash dimmer rheostat||Oct 1951-?||from 10751|
|Long dash dimmer rheostat||1953?|
|Ammeter with 20/20 amps||1949-Oct 1951||to 10779|
|Ammeter with 30/30 amps||1951-1953||from 10799|
|Chrome Headlamps||1949-1951 (late)||unsure|
|Painted Headlamps||1951-1953?||unsure. Seemed to end around ~26000 and returned to chrome.|
|King of the Road Headlight Medallion||1949-1952?||unsure|
|Headlamp without King of the Road Medallion||1952?-1953||~TD24953 which has painted|
|Single oil pressure gauge||1949-Feb 1952||to 13913|
|Dual oil pressure/water temperature gauge||Feb 1952-1953||from 13914|
|Oil Filter - throwaway||1949-Feb 1952||to (e) 14223|
|Replacement oil filter cartridge (Purolator or Tecalemit)||Feb 1952-1953||from (e) 14224|
|Original oil sump with smooth bottom||Nov 1949 - Mar 1952||to (e) 14947|
|New oil sump in finned aluminium||Mar 1952-1953||from (e)14948|
|Mark II Engine Prefix Changed to XPAG/TD3||Jun 1952||(e) TD3 17xxx¹|
|High Beam Warning Light Added to Speedometer||Jun 1952||from 17548|
|Switch on horn for headlamp dimmers||1949-Aug 1952||to 18882|
|Scuttle mounted headlamp dimmer,||Aug 1952-1953||from 18883|
|Shorter horn button||Aug 1952-1953||from 18883|
|2 bow top||1949-Sep 1952||to 20373|
|3 bow top||Sep 1952-1953||from 20374|
|Clamp for distributor||1949-Oct 1952||to (e) 20941|
|Lock bolt for distributor||Oct 1952-1953||from (e) 20942|
|New Oil Pump End Plate with Priming Plug||Oct 1952||(e) 20972|
|Additional Body Mounting Point||Oct 1952||20749|
|Raised Rectangular Stoplamp Mounts in Rear Fender||1949-Aug 1952?||to ~19628|
|No Stoplamp Mounts in Rear Fender||Aug 1952-Oct 1952?||from ~19629 to 21302|
|Round Stoplamps||Oct 1952-1953||from 21303|
|Clutch cable||1949-Nov 1952||to 22250|
|Clutch rod||Nov 1952-1953||from 22251|
|Passenger mounted windscreen motor||1949-Nov 1952||to 22314|
|Center mounted windscreen motor||Nov 1952-1953||from 22315|
|Turn Signals||Nov 1952||from 22315|
|Turn Signal Warning Lamp on Dash||Nov 1952||from 22315|
|Change in Floorboards||Nov 1952||from 22407|
|New trim for Mark II||Dec 1952||from TD/C/22613|
|Reflectors on rear bumpers (NA only?)||Dec 1952?||~TD 23,000 to 24,000|
|Valve clearance .019"||1949-Jan 1953||to 24115|
|Valve clearance .012"||Jan 1953||Commencing at engine XPAG/TD2/24116 a new camshaft has been fitted to the TD Midget to improve wear on the tappet faces.|
|New type of tie rod seals with boots rather than washer||Mar 1953||from 25973|
|New Type of Oil Pump Body||Mar 1953||from 26635|
|Chrome radiator grill slats for Mark II||Late 1953||from TD/C/22613|
|Grab handle on dash near glovebox on late Mark II||Late 1953||from TD/C/22613|
|Chrome and riveted headlamp buckets||Late 1953||~25000 on (confirmed on TD26639) and a car just after TD24953|
¹ Earlier engines were not specially marked; later engines were marked TD3.
Much of the above was used with permission from Original MG T Series by Anders Clausager. Published by MBI Publishing Company 1-800-826-6600.
Note: At some point in production both Girling and Armstrong shocks were used. The Armstrong shocks required a small raised area on the front fender to allow for their higher clearance. This bulge does not indicate that a particular car had Armstrong shocks, but rather that the fenders at that time could accommodate either shock type.
Almost immediately when the MGTD appeared on the market there existed a strong aftermarket of parts and accessories to increase the performance and sportability of the model. The Mark II MGTD, in later years called the TDC, was an attempt by the factory to satisfy the demand for more high performance models.
|1950||1951||1952||1953||Total, all years|
|Chassis only, LHD||1||0||0||1||2|
|CKD Cars, RHD||338||30||20||5||443|
Used with permission from Original MG T Series by Anders Clausager. Published by MBI Publishing Company 1-800-826-6600.
Almost all of the Mark II items were available separately during the production of the TD,and are listed in the Service Parts book.
²The hood and bumper emblems were the same. The bumper emblem was mounted on a special plinth.
An image of some of the Mark II parts from the service and parts manual can be viewed here.
Note: Almost all of the Mark II items were available separately during the production of the TD.
All Mark II's had the bonnet bulge because early cars used a 1-1/4" TD air intake and oil bath filter, with the 1-1/2" carb flange mounting holes filed inward into slots to accomodate the narrow bolt pattern of the smaller air intake (early photos sometimes show these slots). Later cars used the unique enlarged air intake with hole spacing to fit the 1-1/2" carbs, so filing was not necessary (from 22613?). These later cars also used the larger oil-bath filter. The bonnet bulge was necessary for both air intakes.
There is no evidence to suggest that Mark II's came from the factory with Vokes filters as found on TF's, chrome (aftermarket) pancake filters (as usually seen today on cars being driven), or with no filters at all (as often shown without comment in contemporary road test photos, presumably to improve breathing).
While the MG factory had very few accessories for the MGTD, there was no shortage from aftermarket companies. The following is a list of the factory accessories during the production run of the MGTD.
Note: Wire wheels were never offered by the factory during the production the the MGTD. They were available later as a service kit, part number ACG 5163 (5162?). These were essentially the parts used by the TF's that would also fit the TD's. There is also a slight difference in the '54 wire wheels from the '55 wire wheels. The '54 wire wheels inner hub was more pointed in shape, similar to the shape of the original dash finish washers, while the later wire wheels found on the '55 model TF had a more rounded hub common on MGA's and later cars.
Carl Cedarstrand of the Vintage MG Club of Southern California wrote an article about wire wheels on a TD for the June, 1979 issue of The Sacred Octagon. Carl discovered a factory part number for the TD spare wheel carrier - ACG 5162. The part number was confirmed by Mr. Pete Neal at the MG drafting office. Mr. Neal also advised that the part number was taken out on November 4, 1953 which Carl points out was almost 2 months after TD production ended. Carl goes on to say that is very unlikely that a wire wheel TD was ever produced by the factory, but that a TD could be retrofitted using all factory parts. A proof of this was an advertisement in March of 1954 for the TD Wire Wheel Conversion kit from Gough Industries, the MG Importer in Los Angeles. The kits used all factory authorized parts admittingly from the production of the MGTF.
Home | History | Details | Myths and FAQs| Literature | Entertainment | Gallery | Links | Map
|© 1999 - 2017 by Christopher C. Couper||Page last updated on December 6, 2017|