Click here to add your MG News.
by Bruce Magers
On Saturday September 26th, 1998, the American MGB Association met on the beautiful Lake Campus of Davidson College just north of Charlotte, North Carolina for its 21st annual meeting. The event was held in conjunction with MGs on the Green.
Saturday morning started as another beautiful North Carolina day. The line of cars waiting to get onto the green was already formed by 9:00 am. Tom Cotter, Hank Rippert and Andy Russell who started this event 10 years ago handled the details with military precision. A record number of cars attended this event which was the 10th anniversary of MGs on the Green. A delightful atmosphere was enjoyed by all including vendors and refreshments handled by the local Lion's Club which contributed to the festive atmosphere. Some of the more interesting events included a detailing demonstration on a participant's car, a children's contest that including "leakiest engine", "best grille", "brightest paint job", a treasure hunt and the serving of the 10th anniversary cake.
The AMGBA conducted a popular vote contest to recognize the hard work of some MG owners. Margie Johnson, Secretary handled the awards presentation for the AMGBA. Winners of the American MGB Association's popular vote were as follows:
RUBBER BUMPER MGB ROADSTERS
1. '78 - Terry Smith, Bassett, VACHROME BUMPER MGB ROADSTERS
2. '79 - Tom Dickerson, Statesville, NC
3. '77 - Ron & Nita Hairston, Martinsville, VA
1. '67 - Scott Bullock, Bristol, VA (see right)MGB-GTs
2. '72 - Ray Jones, Charlotte, NC
3. '64 - Bobby Cox, Denver, NC
1. '67 - Mike Speer, Columbia, SCMG MIDGET
2. '74 - Don Petty, Charlotte, NC
3. '74 - Steve DeGroat, Lugoff, SC
1. '68 - Rick Erwin, Statesville, NCThe American MGB Association wishes to thank everyone that attended and Tom, Hank and Andy and their staff for a well organized event. For 1999, the AMGBA will hold its 22nd Annual Meet in Los Angeles, California in Woodley Park in October.
2. '72 - Tom Richardson, Sparta, NC
3. '72 - A.G. Clator II, Charlotte, NC
For information on this or on the American MGB Association, please contact the AMGBA , P. O. Box 11401, Chicago, IL 60611; phone: 1-800-723-MGMG (6464) or (773) 878-5055
The American MGB Association